Saturday, March 14, 2015

Sarah's Scoodie

Here is the scoodie I made for my sister for Christmas.  I just finished it.

O.o




I need to get a better model.

Regardless of how early or late it is, I am really happy with how it turned out, so I'm going to show you how I made it!

I made this like a really, really long scarf, then I folded and sewed it up into a scoodie with pockets.

I used 5 skeins of Caron Simply Soft yarn in Iris, two buttons, and a size I/9 5.50mm hook.

ch: chain
dc: double crochet
sk: skip
fpdc: front-post double crochet
bpdc: back-post double crochet
st: stitch

To begin, Ch 40.

Row 1: Dc in 4th chain from hook, and all the way across. Ch 2 and turn.

Row 2: Sk first dc, then *fpdc in the next 4 st. Bpdc in the following 4 st.* Repeat from * to * to the end of the row. Dc in final st, ch 2, and turn.

Row 3: Sk first dc, then *bpdc in the next 4 st. Fpdc in the following 4 st.* Repeat from * to * to the end of the row. DC in final st, ch 2, and turn.

Rows 4- 5: Repeat rows 2 and 3.

Row 6: Sk first dc, then *bpdc in the next 4 st. Fpdc in the following 4 st.* Repeat from * to * to the end of the row. DC in final st, ch 2, and turn.

Row 7: Sk first dc, then *fpdc in the next 4 st. Bpdc in the following 4 st.* Repeat from * to * to the end of the row. Dc in final st, ch 2, and turn.

Rows 8-9: Repeat rows 6-7.

Rows 10 - ?: Repeat rows 2 - 9 until you reach your desired length. Your scoodie should reach from fingertip to fingertip while draped over the head. THEN add 12 rows of basket weave (48 single rows). I am 5'8", and my scarf reached 99" long. Fasten off once you reach your desired length.

Lay your scarf on a flat surface, then fold the ends of your scarf up to the desired depth of your pockets.  I liked 6 basket weave rows deep on each side. Then I took a contrasting yarn color and tied the sides together in 4 places on each side. Use bow or knot that comes out easily.

Border rows:

Row 1: Once the sides are tied, starting at the bottom of one side and with the pockets facing you, start crocheting up the side of the scarf to crochet the pockets together and start making a border. Start with a ch 2, and then dc all the way to the end.  I found that 2 dc in each dc, and one in between dcs filled in the sides nicely. Ch 2, turn. 

Row 2: Alternate fpdc and bpdc all the way to the end. Ch 2, turn.

Row 3: Alternate fpdc with bpdc all the way across, making sure you match fpdc with fpdc and bpdc with bpdc. Fasten off. 

Turn your scarf and make the border rows 1 - 3 on the other side. On the third row, on only one side I decided to prep the center part for a hood. Instead of alternating fpdc and bpdc in the middle 16", I made all fpdc in this area. This gave me a point of reference and it also made sure that all the stitches matched up properly.

To create your hood:

Fold your scoodie directly in half with the pockets facing out. Whip stitch the side you prepped for the hood.  You should have a hood that measures about 8 inches. Fasten off and sew all your ends into your scoodie.

Finishing:



I added a 7/8" button to the pockets so they could be closed if needed.  I placed a button in the top middle of each pocket, then I created a loop by attaching the yarn to one of the double crochets directly above the button. Ch 8, and attach the other end to the double crochet right next to it. I tied the ends together with a knot and sewed the ends in.

Your scoodie is now complete!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment