Sunday, March 22, 2015

Beach Bag

Hey guys, today I'm going to just show you something that I made.  I admit to being a little stupid when it comes to fashion, bags, and shoes, but I've seen a lot of really cute crochet bags lately, so I thought I'd try to make one myself.  I had some hexagon shaped granny squares all made up for an afghan, but I never got around to putting them together. I never made enough to finish it anyway, so I decided to use them to make a bag.  How hard could it be?


HA!  Silly question! Did you know that hexagons are tricky little buggers?  I do now!  First of all, I was only going to make a small bag, about three hexagons wide and 2 or 3 tall just to start.  I didn't plan out how to put this thing together because I thought I'd just make the bottom and form the rest as I went.  It would just kinda...come together.  (Doesn't everything?)  Well this sucker ended up beach bag sized!


Also, I found that one side of this bag ended up higher than the other side, even with the same number of hexagons on both sides.  Why did that happen when hexagons are such a nice geometric shape?  (For real, how did this happen?!  If anyone knows, feel free to drop me a line or leave a message in the comments.)  I was using the ends of yarn up from old projects, so not all of the yarn was exactly the same density.  As a result, some of the hexagons ended up larger or smaller than others, but even then, if they're distributed evenly they should all kinda even out, right?


Once I got both sides a size I was relatively happy with, there was still something off.  I realized that for some reason on one side only, I had two hexagons sewn in with 3 sides up on the top instead of just two.  It was kind of weird.  I couldn't figure out how to make them fit in right, and if I tried to do without them, the bag would have some pieces carved out of the top.  This just wasn't working out the way I wanted.  :(


I eventually made two pentagon shaped pieces to fix the geometry problem.  I don't think they're too obvious.  I think it would have looked cooler if I had used colored yarn to join all my pieces.  Ah well, I still think the bag is kind of neat.  I'll attempt to make a smaller bag with some more hexagons I have left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment