Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Magic Circle, and Why It's The Superior Way to Start a Circle

Today I'm going to show you a magic circle, or magic ring, and explain to you why this is my favorite way to start anything that will eventually be a circle.

Ok, the only real reason I need to give for why I like it, is just that it gives me a nice, tight grouping of stitches. I especially like this for winter hats because it will help keep the cold out at the crown.

To begin a magic circle, start out with the end of the yarn draped over your hand with the end-side in front, and the skein-side at the back of your hand.



Make a loop around your hand and cross over in front of the loose end.



Insert your crochet hook behind where the yarn crosses over itself, yarn over, and pull up a loop.




Hold the yarn tightly underneath the crochet hook. Chain 1. This creates a knot just below your hook, but it will need to be tightened, so work the knot until it tightens up.


Chain as many as needed to begin your round. I am making a round of 12 double crochets, so I chained 3 total, then just started double crocheting, making sure to keep both strands of yarn inside my crochet.




Once you reach your desired size, find the end of the yarn, and pull tightly. This will make your stitches form a circle.




Then finish your round with a slip stitch.  I usually sew the end in with a yarn needle and cut off the excess when I am finished.




That's all there is to it! It's really easy once you get the hang of it, so give it a shot! You'll find that your projects look much tighter and more professional using this technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment